When making a reservation on our website, customers now have the option to book the Carriage of Firearms service for an additional R1,150.
The firearms and ammunition must be for sports purposes (rifles/shotguns) only; no Handguns or Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR) will be transported.
How it works:
This service must be booked at least 72 hours prior to travel on the FlySafair website, and is only available when booking the Standard or Premium fare. It is not available at the George Airport, Bram Fischer Airport (Bloemfontein) or the Lanseria International Airport.
Customers transporting firearms and ammunition must present themselves to our check-in counters at least two (2) hours prior to departure. Learn more about the Firearm Check-in Procedure
Customers who transport and check-in such firearms and ammunition must be:
- 18 (eighteen) years of age or older;
- the legal owners of the firearms and ammunition being transported.; and
- in possession of valid approved documentation, for both firearms and ammunition in their own name such as:
- Valid Licences, or permits; or
- South African Police Services Approved Import documentation, where applicable.
Rifles (used for hunting)
- Bolt action rifles;
- Single-shot hunting rifles;
- A double rifle, a rifle with two barrels mounted parallel to each other used for hunting large game.
Shotguns (used for hunting)
- Single Barrel shotgun;
- Side-by-Side double-barrel shotgun;
- Over and under barreled shotgun;
- Semi-automatic shotgun;
- Pump action shotgun.
The passenger must be advised that copies of all pertinent documentation must be made and stored in a safe place in the event that such original documentation is misplaced/lost, preferable a soft copy that can be downloaded if required.
The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
- Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder;
- Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles;
- Ammunition, including the case, exceeding (5 kg) gross weight per passenger.
Packing your firearms and ammunition
Firearms and ammunition may not be packed inside personal checked baggage. No loose ammunition in the luggage will be accepted.
Items need to be transported in approved and secured firearm and ammunition cases (hard plastic or metal case) manufactured for the applicable firearms and ammunition. These cases must be locked and secured as required. A single firearms case may contain no more than three firearms.
Please be aware that cases and containers that can easily be opened, even when locked, will not be permitted.
Ammunition must be of the same calibre of the firearms being transported
The firearms and ammunition must travel separately as checked baggage inside the cargo compartment of the aircraft, which is inaccessible to unauthorized persons on the ground and in flight.
Under no circumstance shall firearms be transported inside the cabin or flight deck of the aircraft.
The Firearms shall be rendered safe and unloaded before the flight by the appropriately trained Firearms Handler.